Kentucky Initiative for Social Skills and Emotional Development
The Kentucky Initiative for Social Skills and Emotional Development (KISSED) utilizes a team based Professional Learning format to train early childhood educators and support staff to facilitate social-emotional development in young children.
Participants will learn a systematic approach that uses three levels of intervention practices (Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 RtI) to teach specific social and emotional skills, to prevent challenging behaviors, and to provide intensive intervention for children that need additional, individualized support.
Using a team approach to promote social-emotional development of all children, teachers will:
Design environments to promote social-emotional development of all children.
Create daily routines which promote social-emotional development of all children.
Establish strong, nurturing relationships with all children, families and colleagues.
Use specific social-emotional teaching strategies to promote social competence.
Using data, teachers, will develop and implement a functional assessment behavior plan for children needing additional supports.
Teachers will access additional resources to support children and their families who display severe social-emotional behavioral problems.
Suggested Team Composition
- Preschool, Head Start, Child Care teachers and/or Instructional Assistants
- Kindergarten teacher and/or Instructional Assistant
- Guidance Counselors
- Related Service Providers (OT, PT, SLP, etc.)
- Other Stakeholders in Early Childhood Education
- Module I: October 20, 2017 (Ashland Independent Board Office)
- Module II: December 1, 2017 (Ashland Independent Board Office)
- Module III: January 26, 2018 (Ashland Independent Board Office)
- Snow make-up date: February 2, 2017 (Ashland Independent Board Office)
- Module IV: March 15-16, 2018 (Lexington, KY)
Please contact Stacey Stevens (email@example.com) for more information.
Please feel free to contact the Ashland RTC with any questions or concerns.