- Put quotes around a phrase to search for the entire phrase, e. g. "martha's vineyard".
- Use AND, OR and NOT for Boolean searches, e.g. apple AND (pie OR tart) .
- Omit verbs and common words such as: a, an, the, of.
- Use synonyms such as: "automobile emissions" OR "vehicle emissions" [also illustrates use of quotes and Boolean OR]
- Try the same search on different engines. No search engine indexes all sites.
- Some search engines support stemming or truncation. If you search for something like teach math it will not find math teacher or teaching math. Some search engines support stemming with the asterisk e.g. math teach*
(Search tips from Martha's Vineyard Regional High School Library website)