PURPLE COMET! MATH MEET INFORMATION
The Purple Comet! Math Meet is a free, annual, international, online, team, mathematics competition designed for middle and high school students that has been held every year since 2003. Teams of from one to six students compete by submitting solutions to a list of mathematics problems. There is a ten-day window Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 00:00 AM UTC, and extending for 244 hours until Friday, April 24, 2015 at 04:00 AM UTC during which teams may compete choosing a start time most convenient for them. The problems range in difficulty from fairly easy to extremely challenging. In 2012 over 10,000 students competed on over 2700 teams from 43 countries.
There are two levels of competition:
- the middle school contest consists of 20 problems to be completed in 60 minutes;
- the high school contest consists of 30 problems to be completed in 90 minutes.
There are four categories of teams:
- teams whose members all attend the same large school;
- teams whose members all attend the same small school;
- teams whose members attend more than one school or are home schooled;
- teams with no restrictions that do not compete for awards.