As announced at the Spring Preschool Leadership Meeting, beginning with the 2019 school year the Preschool Program Review (P2R) will be replaced with the Kentucky Preschool Evaluation System (KPES, pronounced capes). This system combines preschool monitoring and KY All STARS.
Why the change? KDE is committed to continuous improvement on a year-round basis instead of limiting activities scheduled once every five or six years. School districts will be divided into six groups with activities every year. (See attachments: KPES draft overview; KPES Groups Ashland RTC; KPES Documents to Upload; RTC Draft Preschool Monitoring Form.)
Annually, districts will complete:
- Program Approvals
- Annual Performance Report
- One-third of classrooms reviewed with ECERS-3 (every teacher will have ECERS-3 score by the third year).***
Mid-Cycle (third year of KPES cycle), districts will submit required district and site specific documents.
Full Monitoring (Same as P2R including site specific documentation for KY All STARS)
First year of the KPES cycle:
- District coordinator or designee will become inter-rater reliable and observe all the classrooms in the district including Head Start blended and contracted sites. This should be completed by the end of the fall semester.
- District submits ECERS 3 scores to their RTC and to KDE.
- In the spring, RTCs will observe at least 1/3 of the preschool classrooms at all the sites.
- District self-assesses program quality and compliance with preschool regulations, including identifying documents that provide evidence of quality and compliance, then submit this information and the district’s self-assessment by June 1st.
***During the 2018-2019 school year:
- Districts in Group 1 for KPES will complete ECERS-3 observations on ALL classrooms in the fall.
- Districts in Group 2 will complete E3 observations on one-half (50%) of classrooms as scores for all classrooms must be submitted to KDE during the 2019-2020 school year.
Below are documents related to KPES.
Ashland RTC Groups
DRAFT KPES Document
DRAFT KPES Documents to Upload